Bow ties. Pocket squares. They’re outfit-making finishing touches that look simple enough, but actually require a little skill. Not to worry, though. This year, you’re totally going to pull them off – with the help of this step-by-step guide, that is.
Tie a Bow Tie
- Loop the tie over your neck so the right side hangs 2 inches lower than the left, then pull the long side across and tuck it up and under the short side. Place the long side over your shoulder.
- Form a half-bow with the short side, as close to your neck as possible. Then take the long side from your shoulder and pull it over the middle.
- Holding the hanging piece taut, grab both sides of the bow and pull them forward. Then loop the middle piece through the tiny hole behind the bow. Adjust the bow tie until even.
Fold a Pocket Square
- Fold the pocket square into a 4 1/2 inch square. Rotate so the folded corner is pointing upward.
- Bring together the top and bottom points to make the pocket square look like a triangle.
- Fold in the right and left sides of the triangle. The two bottom points should now be facing inward.
- Tuck the folded square into your breast pocket with the point up. Adjust as necessary for a clean and sharp look.
By Chrissy Makkas, Staff Writer
Not a Member and like The Style Guide? You’ll love Rue La La. Join now.